Skip to main content

To Trade or Not To Trade: Women in Trades Programs

What a farce I think this is. Don't get me wrong, I think more women should be in trades. In fact, I am going back to school in January to get involved in the trades myself (electrical, in case you are wondering). But am I taking a specialty "Women in Trades" program? 


No. 


These programs are for women only, and seem to touch on most of the constructions trades and skills: electrical, framing, plumbing, tiling, dry walling, etc. This should really be called the "Home-Reno" program, or the "Jack-of-All-Trades-Master-of-None" program, or even the "Didn't-Learn-Enough-to-Get-an-Apprenticeship" program, (yes they probably help) but... I'm sure you get my drift. 

Realistically, being able to try a little bit of everything is not a bad plan. Especially, if you want to do a trade, but aren't sure which one is the best fit for you. But why does this need to separated into a women-only program? (I'm sure there are men out there who would benefit from this opportunity as well*.) Granted, this program has special government grant opportunities that attendees can apply for to cover tuition cost. This is designed to entice women into trades training, but why can't they offer this to any women getting into any trade, instead of just the Women in Trades specific program? I know what trade I want to do, so I am going into a specialized stream. I would benefit from money from the government! 

Perhaps they want to learn in a 'safe' environment, with other women, instead of in front of the guys. Sure, we all have those moments where we need to try something on our own before showcasing our learning abilities to our peers. However, if you're getting into a trade, most of the learning is on the job, in front of your peers and your mentor. Who are most likely going to be male, so really, they might as well get over it sooner rather than later. This will make things more in line with a realistic work-related environment. 

All that being said. I think my biggest pet peeve is the advertising for these Women in Trades programs. How come they all look... well... like men? Talk about stereotyping! I kid you not, I walked into a trades school and I'm talking about every picture in the pamphlet, or on the walls for this women's program showed a female with short-cropped hair, baggy jeans and an over-sized shirt. How are you going to entice smart women, who may happen to be decent looking, into these programs?  What's wrong with a hair elastic? Does this mean I have to give up my yoga pants cause they won't fit properly over my work boots? (Let's get real. I'll just tuck them in). 

My plan is to go in there and show them that instead of advertising to square pegs that they have these round hole programs, we need to get outside of gender stereotypes for trades. I know plenty of females who like working with their hands, or aren't afraid to put in some hard labour. Let's show them they can still come out looking like a woman when the job's said and done. 

*I'm sure there are programs like this that are gen-pop.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The "Social Impacts" of a Female Working with "Mostly Male Construction Workers"

The first time I'd heard anything about comments made by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau was on Newstalk 1010' s The Night Side with Barb DiGiulio .  For reference, here is a section of the comments from Mr. Trudeau at the recent G20 summit as posted in an article from the National Post : " Even big infrastructure projects, you know, might now say, well, what does a gender lens have to do with building this new highway or this new pipeline or something? Well, you know, there are gender impacts when you bring construction workers into a rural area. There are social impacts because they’re mostly male construction workers. How are you adjusting and adapting to those?"    A lot of people are focusing specifically on the "social impacts... ...of mostly male construction workers" part in a negative light. I'd agree, it certainly doesn't sound good, does it? The resulting public interpretation of what that comment meant spinned the narrative to that of t

The Weasley Family Clock Project

I came across this project stumbling around the internet for interesting things, as I tend to do from time to time. I thought it was a great example of a practical use for some of the electronics stuff I have been learning in school. It also serves to feed my Harry Potter hunger. (Long live Dumbledore's Army!) I might not be at this stage of the game yet, but it would certainly be cool to work towards.  It makes use of LED's, and a micro-controller connected via wi-fi. It connects to each family member's smartphones via an app (If This, Then That) to geo-locate the family member and communicate that location to the clock. This lights up the corresponding family member with their pre-set locations.  That app has many more uses. It can be used to connect to your HUB wi-fi connected light bulbs; NEST home thermostat; Belkin's WeMo, a plug adapter that you plug your corded device (like a coffee maker, or your Christmas lights). The WeMo is a wifi enabled device tha

Three Seconds

He's going to hit me. If I try to maneuver maybe- Bang! One One-Thousand. The sound of a scream came from somewhere. I realized it was me. I shrink in my seat, recoiling from the impact. The side airbag deployed, grazing the left of my face and shoulder. I barely registered it. Somehow my right hand wasn't on the steering wheel. "I need two hands, two hands on the steering wheel. Steer!" Things were freewheeling now. I'm not in control. What's next? Two One-Thousand. Look left, the airbag was there. Look forward, but my focus was blurred. I could only see on what was happening inside the car. "Pump the brake, pump the brake, pump the brake!" I hit the curb that bounced me up and over the island. Three One-Thousand. "Pump the brake!" I came off the island into the right turn lane, no one was there. The car stopped. I braced for another possible hit. Nothing. I waz vibrating at a higher frequency. Trembling. I