Skip to main content

Back to School: Round 2, Week 10

Well, this was a hell week. Tests, assignments and labs in just about every class, which translates to 1 or more assessments each day. That alone was enough to keep my brain busy. Unfortunately, I had some personal stuff to cope with as well, and that only served to take up some much needed mental capacity.

I was determined to start this week off right. I knew it was going to be crazy, so I was trying to have the right attitude to serve me through all of the tests to come. That didn't last long. I had a test in my second class on Monday that I somehow was not aware of (which is not like me to not be on top of those things.) This misstep seemed to set the tone for the rest of my week. I passed the test, but it wasn't with what I would normally be okay with. I had to let that go, so I could carry on. I still had another test that afternoon.  

Wednesday was most certainly the hump day. Sometimes you don't realize how much you are holding yourself together until you fall apart. Right in the middle of an electronics lab test. Now, this one I had studied for, so I was feeling fairly confident going in. I didn't need to rush, so I took my time building the circuit and checked and rechecked to make sure I wasn't going to have a puff of smoke when I applied power. Except I couldn't get power. Or at least, I couldn't get the meter to work to tell me how much power I had. I spent 10 minutes trying another meter, checking the settings, but nothing. And that was it. Coupled with the background conversations in my brain playing out from my personal conundrums, I couldn't hold it in anymore. 

I kept my head down, the last thing I wanted anyone to see was me crying. Especially because school on its own was no where near enough to bring me to this state. I won't lie: I knew I had already passed the class in marks, so a couple times I seriously contemplated handing in a blank sheet just to get the hell out of there. However, my stubbornness won out, and with help from the teacher to at least get the meter working. I pushed through the lab, answered the questions and filled out the charts. I still got a 75% which for me in electronics is alright. At that point I was just desperate to leave. 

The last couple days were easier. One test on Thursday, and two tests and a shop project on Friday rounded off the week. By Friday afternoon, there was a feeling of relief that seemed to wash over the group, along with the realization that we're going to miss seeing each other every day. We had gotten used to it without even realizing it, the last ten weeks bonding us together. Plans were made to hang out and grab a drink after the last test. Out of the 60 people in our program, I'd swear I saw almost half of them come and go from the bar down the street. 

It was nice to hang out, it gave some closure. Phone numbers were exchanged and Facebook friends added. I got the sense that no one wanted to leave, to say goodbye. It was bittersweet, yes school was over, and people would be back to work, making money again. And yes, these new friends would be missed. 

For me, I have my add-on course in solar panel systems and installation. I know of one person from my group that is taking it as well, but the rest will be new faces. As the class runs only for 1 week, it will be no where near the journey that the last ten weeks has been. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The "Social Impacts" of a Female Working with "Mostly Male Construction Workers"

The first time I'd heard anything about comments made by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau was on Newstalk 1010' s The Night Side with Barb DiGiulio .  For reference, here is a section of the comments from Mr. Trudeau at the recent G20 summit as posted in an article from the National Post : " Even big infrastructure projects, you know, might now say, well, what does a gender lens have to do with building this new highway or this new pipeline or something? Well, you know, there are gender impacts when you bring construction workers into a rural area. There are social impacts because they’re mostly male construction workers. How are you adjusting and adapting to those?"    A lot of people are focusing specifically on the "social impacts... ...of mostly male construction workers" part in a negative light. I'd agree, it certainly doesn't sound good, does it? The resulting public interpretation of what that comment meant spinned the narrative to that of t

The Weasley Family Clock Project

I came across this project stumbling around the internet for interesting things, as I tend to do from time to time. I thought it was a great example of a practical use for some of the electronics stuff I have been learning in school. It also serves to feed my Harry Potter hunger. (Long live Dumbledore's Army!) I might not be at this stage of the game yet, but it would certainly be cool to work towards.  It makes use of LED's, and a micro-controller connected via wi-fi. It connects to each family member's smartphones via an app (If This, Then That) to geo-locate the family member and communicate that location to the clock. This lights up the corresponding family member with their pre-set locations.  That app has many more uses. It can be used to connect to your HUB wi-fi connected light bulbs; NEST home thermostat; Belkin's WeMo, a plug adapter that you plug your corded device (like a coffee maker, or your Christmas lights). The WeMo is a wifi enabled device tha

Three Seconds

He's going to hit me. If I try to maneuver maybe- Bang! One One-Thousand. The sound of a scream came from somewhere. I realized it was me. I shrink in my seat, recoiling from the impact. The side airbag deployed, grazing the left of my face and shoulder. I barely registered it. Somehow my right hand wasn't on the steering wheel. "I need two hands, two hands on the steering wheel. Steer!" Things were freewheeling now. I'm not in control. What's next? Two One-Thousand. Look left, the airbag was there. Look forward, but my focus was blurred. I could only see on what was happening inside the car. "Pump the brake, pump the brake, pump the brake!" I hit the curb that bounced me up and over the island. Three One-Thousand. "Pump the brake!" I came off the island into the right turn lane, no one was there. The car stopped. I braced for another possible hit. Nothing. I waz vibrating at a higher frequency. Trembling. I