Skip to main content

The Turning Point

There are moments in my life that I know, looking back, were turning points for me. Either I was at a crossroads, or in some cases feeling like I was at a dead end, and needed to figure out a way to forge ahead. The wake of some of these turning points rippled through a decade or more of people, places and things that would never have been for me otherwise.

They can all be traced back to one decision.

I was working as a sales representative, almost 4 years into the job. I felt I had made the position as much as I could over my time with the company, including changing locations and helping bring things up to speed. I was beginning to get the itch to do something new, and knew I wanted to further my education in some way. I needed to decide if I wanted to continue on the same track and look at marketing or business school. Or, change things entirely.

The question was answered for me when a clue landed on my lap.

A digital shot clock that I had recently sold to a customer came back shortly after as the on/off switch had been broken. I called the supplier, and that was something he'd be able to fix. The biggest delay was the travel time. The clock would have to ship from Ontario to BC, get fixed and be sent back. With shipping time, we were looking at a three week turnaround.

Curious, I opened the clock and took at look at the innards. I'd covered some basic electrical in the Construction Technology course I took in high school, and this was a straightforward swap. I called the supplier back, and told him to ship me the switch instead, and I would fix it. He walked me through a couple details over the phone, and sent the replacement part out ASAP.

It was in my Mum's kitchen, soldering the wires to the contacts of the new switch when I had my revelation: this is it! This is what I get excited about!

It wasn't more than a few months later, when I was attending Mohawk College, taking their Mechanical Techniques: Electrical Monitoring & Systems course. I am now a fourth year electrical apprentice, and I will be licensed by the end of this year. In that time, I have met a lot of interesting people, attended talks and dinners for Women in Trades, posted on the Mohawk College Alumni blog, and otherwise generally advocate not just for women, but all people to explore trades careers.

What decisions in your life have had such a ripple effect? What opportunities presented or self-made could be your turning moment? Don't wait, the best time is now.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The "Social Impacts" of a Female Working with "Mostly Male Construction Workers"

The first time I'd heard anything about comments made by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau was on Newstalk 1010' s The Night Side with Barb DiGiulio .  For reference, here is a section of the comments from Mr. Trudeau at the recent G20 summit as posted in an article from the National Post : " Even big infrastructure projects, you know, might now say, well, what does a gender lens have to do with building this new highway or this new pipeline or something? Well, you know, there are gender impacts when you bring construction workers into a rural area. There are social impacts because they’re mostly male construction workers. How are you adjusting and adapting to those?"    A lot of people are focusing specifically on the "social impacts... ...of mostly male construction workers" part in a negative light. I'd agree, it certainly doesn't sound good, does it? The resulting public interpretation of what that comment meant spinned the narrative to that of t

The Weasley Family Clock Project

I came across this project stumbling around the internet for interesting things, as I tend to do from time to time. I thought it was a great example of a practical use for some of the electronics stuff I have been learning in school. It also serves to feed my Harry Potter hunger. (Long live Dumbledore's Army!) I might not be at this stage of the game yet, but it would certainly be cool to work towards.  It makes use of LED's, and a micro-controller connected via wi-fi. It connects to each family member's smartphones via an app (If This, Then That) to geo-locate the family member and communicate that location to the clock. This lights up the corresponding family member with their pre-set locations.  That app has many more uses. It can be used to connect to your HUB wi-fi connected light bulbs; NEST home thermostat; Belkin's WeMo, a plug adapter that you plug your corded device (like a coffee maker, or your Christmas lights). The WeMo is a wifi enabled device tha

Three Seconds

He's going to hit me. If I try to maneuver maybe- Bang! One One-Thousand. The sound of a scream came from somewhere. I realized it was me. I shrink in my seat, recoiling from the impact. The side airbag deployed, grazing the left of my face and shoulder. I barely registered it. Somehow my right hand wasn't on the steering wheel. "I need two hands, two hands on the steering wheel. Steer!" Things were freewheeling now. I'm not in control. What's next? Two One-Thousand. Look left, the airbag was there. Look forward, but my focus was blurred. I could only see on what was happening inside the car. "Pump the brake, pump the brake, pump the brake!" I hit the curb that bounced me up and over the island. Three One-Thousand. "Pump the brake!" I came off the island into the right turn lane, no one was there. The car stopped. I braced for another possible hit. Nothing. I waz vibrating at a higher frequency. Trembling. I