Skip to main content

Returning to School

So, I turn 25 this year... Early quarter-life-crisis?

On and off since high school, I have asked myself: what do I want to do with my life? Answer: give things a try.


When I couldn't decide in my last year of high school what direction I wanted my life to go in, I decided to take a year off. Spending thousands of dollars going to post-secondary not having a clue just seemed like a waste of money to me. Many people told me to 'be careful.' According to these people, I was warned that if I didn't go to University or College right out of high school, chances were unlikely that I would go back. Psssh. 


During my year off I worked, explored some options of what I liked. That can be tough. Ask someone what they want to do with themselves, and they might have no idea. Ask them what they don't want to do, and you can get a list a mile long. So I started there, and looked at what was leftover. I liked the lifeguarding job, the lifeguarding competitions, so there was one avenue. I loved dance (see past blog post here http://missanchor.blogspot.ca/2013/11/you-never-stop-being-dancer.html) and I knew I was more likely to want to get into a college program vs. university, so I worked with that. 

The end result: completing a 1 year certificate program at George Brown College in Toronto. Am I doing anything with that certificate now? No. I was 20 and felt like I had the hips of an 80-year old. Dancing 20+ hours a week was just more than my body could take. But I met lifelong friends and had a great experience. 

So back to square one. This time looking at the Paramedic option, but I was missing a course requirement. I completed the course online, but here is where karma/fate/destiny/call-it-what-you-will stepped in and took over. My marks didn't make it to the college on time for that current years intake of students. They offered to hang onto my information for consideration the following year. I might have considered that, but after already taking a year off high school, I couldn't imagine waiting around. 

After some investigation, I learned that British Columbia had a 'fast-track' version of the paramedic training. A peer from George Brown College was from Langley, BC. about an hour from Vancouver. I suppose you could say her love for the West Coast rubbed off on me. Once the itch was there....
Well I spent the summer saving, applied for multiple jobs, and off I went.

Of course when I got there, the paramedics went on strike for months, resulting in the paramedic schools not running courses...

Plan B: if I live in the mountains, take advantage and work on them! This is where Mount Seymour came into play. After the season ended, I found myself working at Team Aquatic Supplies, which at the time was my dream job. Exactly the type of career I was looking for, and perfect for a transplant from Ontario out to make it on their own.

After 3 fabulous years, and more lifelong friends, I decided I needed more. Working in a niche market can be fun, but comes with its limitations. I wanted to go back to school. Unfortunately, I couldn't afford to live in BC and do that at the same time. So, home I came. I gave myself 12 months, just a year till I had to either be back in school, or at least decide what program/field of study I was applying for. 

I went back and forth between continuing with a business related program and getting into a trade. Ultimately, I decided as much as I enjoyed the business side of things, I was tired of riding a desk. The trades are an option I had always kept coming back to, and it was time to just get-er-done.


And so my conclusion: I came, I saw and I will conquer. Tomorrow marks the first day of my next foray into college, this time at Mohawk College in Stoney Creek. I chose their Mechanical Techniques: Electrical Monitoring & Systems program for their value added skills and training that will make me employable in my chosen field as soon as I graduate and walk out their doors. 

It's been a 7 year journey since high school. But I know exactly who I am now, and where I am going. 


And I am going to rock it.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The "Social Impacts" of a Female Working with "Mostly Male Construction Workers"

The first time I'd heard anything about comments made by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau was on Newstalk 1010' s The Night Side with Barb DiGiulio .  For reference, here is a section of the comments from Mr. Trudeau at the recent G20 summit as posted in an article from the National Post : " Even big infrastructure projects, you know, might now say, well, what does a gender lens have to do with building this new highway or this new pipeline or something? Well, you know, there are gender impacts when you bring construction workers into a rural area. There are social impacts because they’re mostly male construction workers. How are you adjusting and adapting to those?"    A lot of people are focusing specifically on the "social impacts... ...of mostly male construction workers" part in a negative light. I'd agree, it certainly doesn't sound good, does it? The resulting public interpretation of what that comment meant spinned the narrative to that of t

The Weasley Family Clock Project

I came across this project stumbling around the internet for interesting things, as I tend to do from time to time. I thought it was a great example of a practical use for some of the electronics stuff I have been learning in school. It also serves to feed my Harry Potter hunger. (Long live Dumbledore's Army!) I might not be at this stage of the game yet, but it would certainly be cool to work towards.  It makes use of LED's, and a micro-controller connected via wi-fi. It connects to each family member's smartphones via an app (If This, Then That) to geo-locate the family member and communicate that location to the clock. This lights up the corresponding family member with their pre-set locations.  That app has many more uses. It can be used to connect to your HUB wi-fi connected light bulbs; NEST home thermostat; Belkin's WeMo, a plug adapter that you plug your corded device (like a coffee maker, or your Christmas lights). The WeMo is a wifi enabled device tha

Three Seconds

He's going to hit me. If I try to maneuver maybe- Bang! One One-Thousand. The sound of a scream came from somewhere. I realized it was me. I shrink in my seat, recoiling from the impact. The side airbag deployed, grazing the left of my face and shoulder. I barely registered it. Somehow my right hand wasn't on the steering wheel. "I need two hands, two hands on the steering wheel. Steer!" Things were freewheeling now. I'm not in control. What's next? Two One-Thousand. Look left, the airbag was there. Look forward, but my focus was blurred. I could only see on what was happening inside the car. "Pump the brake, pump the brake, pump the brake!" I hit the curb that bounced me up and over the island. Three One-Thousand. "Pump the brake!" I came off the island into the right turn lane, no one was there. The car stopped. I braced for another possible hit. Nothing. I waz vibrating at a higher frequency. Trembling. I