Skip to main content

Back to School: Round 2, Week 6

I'm over the hump! I've got more school behind me than in front, and I'm feeling pretty good about that. Also, and more to the point, I feel like I am actually retaining the information I am receiving. There are times in class when I've done a calculation, look at my answer, and forget what process I used to get there. Simply because it's becoming second nature and I don't have to overthink it anymore. This is good. Curious to see how long that lasts when I'm out of school, but for now good. Or at least until I pass the rest of my tests.

In the last 6 weeks, I have received 2 E.I. payments. One 3 weeks in and 1 this past week. I was warned that my first payment would be less as the paid out vacation pay at the end of 2015 affected what I received. Thankfully the second payment I received was about double the first one. It could be worse: some people who had already been on E.I. from not working prior to school are going to run out of funds before school ends.

Thankfully there is a little money that the Ministry of Training can give them, but from what I hear it's even less than what you get on E.I. and even that is nothing to write home about. I've heard of people that are putting off going back to school because they can't afford the 10 weeks on a reduced income. What kind of system do we have in place where people can't further their training due to financial restraints?

I had also been waiting on my cheque from the Ministry of Training for my gas allowance. I'm supposed to be getting about $44 per week of school. I was told it should come during the last week of January. Then again, I am waiting on the government to hand out money. I shouldn't expect it to be on time. After a 2 week grace period, I called the Ministry just to follow up, as others that I knew should be receiving money hadn't gotten anything yet either. From the phone call, I deduced it was a paperwork processing overload on their end. And that it should be only a couple more weeks. At this rate, if I'm lucky I'll get my gas money by the time school is done.

Remember the person I mentioned in the first couple weeks who I reckoned failed the review test? I'd been thinking about reaching out to him to offer some aide. My opportunity came on Friday. I ended up sitting in the row behind him. He turned around at one point to ask how we'd found certain information in the code book. I explained my thought process, as it wasn't a straight forward piece of information to find. He then asked about how to do one of the calculations we were working on. I asked him what steps he took to get an answer, and walked him through the part he wasn't sure of.

He stuck around after class to ask the teacher some questions. I waited for him to be done, and introduced myself. I learned that he has only ever worked in the residential sector. This level of schooling concerns things related more to the commercial industry. I can't imagine having to figure out calculations and applications of components you've never even seen or installed before. We're also getting to the point now where if you're still struggling with the last few weeks, it's going to be extremely confusing from now till the end.

We exchanged numbers and agreed to pick a time next week to get together. I said I'd go through any of the subjects he wasn't sure of. Its gotten to the point where when he asks a question most of the class rolls their eyes. At least he's been trying from day one, which is more than I can say for some of the others in the group. I think about if we were on the job, if someone was trying and struggling, we'd step up to help. School should be no different. Hopefully I can help, and if nothing else, add some points in the good karma column.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The "Social Impacts" of a Female Working with "Mostly Male Construction Workers"

The first time I'd heard anything about comments made by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau was on Newstalk 1010' s The Night Side with Barb DiGiulio .  For reference, here is a section of the comments from Mr. Trudeau at the recent G20 summit as posted in an article from the National Post : " Even big infrastructure projects, you know, might now say, well, what does a gender lens have to do with building this new highway or this new pipeline or something? Well, you know, there are gender impacts when you bring construction workers into a rural area. There are social impacts because they’re mostly male construction workers. How are you adjusting and adapting to those?"    A lot of people are focusing specifically on the "social impacts... ...of mostly male construction workers" part in a negative light. I'd agree, it certainly doesn't sound good, does it? The resulting public interpretation of what that comment meant spinned the narrative to that of t

The Weasley Family Clock Project

I came across this project stumbling around the internet for interesting things, as I tend to do from time to time. I thought it was a great example of a practical use for some of the electronics stuff I have been learning in school. It also serves to feed my Harry Potter hunger. (Long live Dumbledore's Army!) I might not be at this stage of the game yet, but it would certainly be cool to work towards.  It makes use of LED's, and a micro-controller connected via wi-fi. It connects to each family member's smartphones via an app (If This, Then That) to geo-locate the family member and communicate that location to the clock. This lights up the corresponding family member with their pre-set locations.  That app has many more uses. It can be used to connect to your HUB wi-fi connected light bulbs; NEST home thermostat; Belkin's WeMo, a plug adapter that you plug your corded device (like a coffee maker, or your Christmas lights). The WeMo is a wifi enabled device tha

Three Seconds

He's going to hit me. If I try to maneuver maybe- Bang! One One-Thousand. The sound of a scream came from somewhere. I realized it was me. I shrink in my seat, recoiling from the impact. The side airbag deployed, grazing the left of my face and shoulder. I barely registered it. Somehow my right hand wasn't on the steering wheel. "I need two hands, two hands on the steering wheel. Steer!" Things were freewheeling now. I'm not in control. What's next? Two One-Thousand. Look left, the airbag was there. Look forward, but my focus was blurred. I could only see on what was happening inside the car. "Pump the brake, pump the brake, pump the brake!" I hit the curb that bounced me up and over the island. Three One-Thousand. "Pump the brake!" I came off the island into the right turn lane, no one was there. The car stopped. I braced for another possible hit. Nothing. I waz vibrating at a higher frequency. Trembling. I