Skip to main content

Back to School: Round 2, Week 7

Another week bites the dust.

I know at one point, I said electronics was going to be my downfall. I'm feeling like that's not the case anymore. I did a couple of the online quizzes and got 90% with little to no references to my notes. Granted I still feel that electronics is Greek compared to the other classes, it's starting to come together for me.

This week we had the Monday off for Family day. Only a little reading needed to be done to make up for the lost classes. It certainly made the week move faster.

Tuesday's Monitoring & Communications class had use wiring up Nurse call stations. As my Mum is a nurse, this was an interesting topic for me. I know she was certainly excited that I get to learn about components she used when she worked in the hospital setting. There were bedside push buttons for the patients, emergency pull stations, patient room controllers, nurse lounge room controllers, indicating lights and telephones at each station.

I had a study session with the student from last week (let's call him Dave). As I mentioned, I had a feeling Dave probably knows his stuff okay, but was just second guessing himself. I tried to aide him in explaining some of the topics we're covering that he wouldn't be exposed to working in a residential environment. I found pictures of work I'd done, drew diagrams and gave explanations. Anything that might help it make sense, and more importantly, memorable. We focused mostly on Code related review for the test Friday. I recreated some of the questions we'd done in class just with new numbers, and watched him work through the steps.

I tried to only step in if he was getting off track or missed something. There are a lot of components that we are learning about, and to look at it all once can be overwhelming. I think this is what was happening to Dave. I reminded him to take it one step at a time, and make sure to thoroughly read through the questions. I also passed along a good test tip that was given to me: go through the test, and answer the questions you know off hand first. As you do this, make notes about the other questions. These can be making note of what section of the code book you might find the answer in, questions that are related,  or just different variations of the same math.

When you go back through the test the second time, do all those questions that involve the same math. That way you only have to think about how to do it once, and you can knock those off. Then try to answer all the questions that might be found in the same section of the code book. Often when looking for one answer, you'll find the thing that will answer another. This results in an easier process and much less page flipping.

Helping Dave review is good practice for me, as you don't know how well you actually know something until you have to teach it to someone else. A couple times, he'd ask a question and I'd have to look up the code and we would figure it out together. A long term goal for me with this career path could include teaching, so this isn't a bad place to get a feel for it.

Besides the Code test was one for Prints, our weekly Theory quiz and of course another project for Install. With only 3 weeks left (already?) we'll all be studying for the final tests soon. Some fellow students have been watching me take notes in class and wonder how I do it. I explain that besides writing the equations and examples of doing the math, I make notes to my future self, for a time when I might have to review the notes and can't remember what the heck they mean anymore.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The "Social Impacts" of a Female Working with "Mostly Male Construction Workers"

The first time I'd heard anything about comments made by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau was on Newstalk 1010' s The Night Side with Barb DiGiulio .  For reference, here is a section of the comments from Mr. Trudeau at the recent G20 summit as posted in an article from the National Post : " Even big infrastructure projects, you know, might now say, well, what does a gender lens have to do with building this new highway or this new pipeline or something? Well, you know, there are gender impacts when you bring construction workers into a rural area. There are social impacts because they’re mostly male construction workers. How are you adjusting and adapting to those?"    A lot of people are focusing specifically on the "social impacts... ...of mostly male construction workers" part in a negative light. I'd agree, it certainly doesn't sound good, does it? The resulting public interpretation of what that comment meant spinned the narrative to that of t

The Weasley Family Clock Project

I came across this project stumbling around the internet for interesting things, as I tend to do from time to time. I thought it was a great example of a practical use for some of the electronics stuff I have been learning in school. It also serves to feed my Harry Potter hunger. (Long live Dumbledore's Army!) I might not be at this stage of the game yet, but it would certainly be cool to work towards.  It makes use of LED's, and a micro-controller connected via wi-fi. It connects to each family member's smartphones via an app (If This, Then That) to geo-locate the family member and communicate that location to the clock. This lights up the corresponding family member with their pre-set locations.  That app has many more uses. It can be used to connect to your HUB wi-fi connected light bulbs; NEST home thermostat; Belkin's WeMo, a plug adapter that you plug your corded device (like a coffee maker, or your Christmas lights). The WeMo is a wifi enabled device tha

Three Seconds

He's going to hit me. If I try to maneuver maybe- Bang! One One-Thousand. The sound of a scream came from somewhere. I realized it was me. I shrink in my seat, recoiling from the impact. The side airbag deployed, grazing the left of my face and shoulder. I barely registered it. Somehow my right hand wasn't on the steering wheel. "I need two hands, two hands on the steering wheel. Steer!" Things were freewheeling now. I'm not in control. What's next? Two One-Thousand. Look left, the airbag was there. Look forward, but my focus was blurred. I could only see on what was happening inside the car. "Pump the brake, pump the brake, pump the brake!" I hit the curb that bounced me up and over the island. Three One-Thousand. "Pump the brake!" I came off the island into the right turn lane, no one was there. The car stopped. I braced for another possible hit. Nothing. I waz vibrating at a higher frequency. Trembling. I