Skip to main content

CAUTION: Woman Driving

The flurried inconsistencies of information I received was astounding.

I've bought and negotiated for a few cars in my time. This most recent has to have been the most frustrating. The key, I've decided: do your homework. As a woman walking into a car dealership, we can almost be guaranteed to be treated at a disadvantaged level. It saddens me that this is still prevalent. I was asking questions about the Ram 1500. As I summarize the key points, remember that these things happened over 3 dealerships and a mechanics shop:

In researching diesel vs. gasoline engines:
I was aware the frequency for oil changes in a diesel is less than that of a gasoline engine, but wasn't sure by how much. I was told everything from every 5,000kms regardless, to 8,000kms or every 6 months, to 10,000kms or every 8 months. The manufacturers recommendation: follow the engine management system, it will notify when oil life is low. Do not allow oil changes to exceed 16,000kms or 12 months. Much longer than anything I was told.

In one dealership, they checked their inventory and didn't have any used Ram 1500 EcoDiesels. (The new ones are well out of my price range.) The sales guy here asked how much I drive a year (about 28,000kms, average for most people 20,000-24,000kms/year.) The dealership tried to tell me I don't drive enough for a diesel, and I should buy the 5.7L Hemi V8 in the Ram 1500 instead, and oh, look! They had a used one on the lot to sell me.

During the actual sales process:
When I finally found the truck I wanted on AutoTrader, I went to the dealership that had it in stock. I'd called ahead and let them know I was coming. The sales guy hadn't spent a second refreshing himself on the vehicle. What does a young woman like me need a truck for anyways? He didn't think I was serious about buying it. Even after dropping that I'm an electrician and work in construction, that didn't tip this guy off to drop the act.

I basically sold the truck to myself (eg. he thought it was a Crew Cab until we insisted it was the Quad, etc.) Negotiating was painful. The sales guy had entered the wrong price to start, so when he took it to the sales manager for approval of course it got sent back. He then tried to blame me for him putting the wrong price in. When I asked if we could meet in the middle, he responded with, "the middle of what? The ocean? I don't swim." Then chuckled to himself. *Sigh.* "Let's talk actual numbers." I responded. The wool won't be pulled over my eyes.

When it came time to finally pick up the truck, it was raining. I realized immediately that the wiper blades were old and ineffective. When I pointed this out to the sales guy, he tried to say it looked like condensation marks. I replied, "No, condensation builds up on the inside, which your guys cleaned. Those are water marks on the outside, where the squeegee isn't wiping properly, and if you look at the tip of the blade, the rubber is starting to peel away from the plastic holder."

These people had no idea who they were dealing with.

The next day I had to call back. Beyond the wiper blades, I'd noticed the fuel tank wasn't full like I'd was told it would be on multiple occasions. "We have a $50 fill up limit." Never once was an upper limit told to me during the whole process.

I opened the tailgate to check out the tonneau cover I'd purchased with the truck. The installers left some garbage from the installation in the bed of the truck.

There was no owners manual in the glove box.

I was told I had to come in during the week to get the wiper blades replaced, as the Master Mechanic was away on the weekend. I didn't realize you needed to be a Master Mechanic to change wiper blades. I'm so happy the College of Trades wasn't around any time I changed them myself as they could fine me for working on a vehicle without an Automotive Service Technician license.* (Insert majorly sarcastic tone here.*) I said, "I'll be coming on Saturday. Have the wiper blades for me, and I'll put them on my damn self if need be." I'd had enough, this was ridiculous!

All I can say out of this experience is WOW! No matter who you are, do your research, and know your stuff. Trust your gut, if it sounds weird, or like an excuse, stand your ground!

P.S. "CAUTION: Woman Driving" is a warning for the guys out there who think they can talk down to us ladies. Well this lady wasn't having it, so watch out!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The "Social Impacts" of a Female Working with "Mostly Male Construction Workers"

The first time I'd heard anything about comments made by Prime Minister Justin Trudeau was on Newstalk 1010' s The Night Side with Barb DiGiulio .  For reference, here is a section of the comments from Mr. Trudeau at the recent G20 summit as posted in an article from the National Post : " Even big infrastructure projects, you know, might now say, well, what does a gender lens have to do with building this new highway or this new pipeline or something? Well, you know, there are gender impacts when you bring construction workers into a rural area. There are social impacts because they’re mostly male construction workers. How are you adjusting and adapting to those?"    A lot of people are focusing specifically on the "social impacts... ...of mostly male construction workers" part in a negative light. I'd agree, it certainly doesn't sound good, does it? The resulting public interpretation of what that comment meant spinned the narrative to that of t

The Weasley Family Clock Project

I came across this project stumbling around the internet for interesting things, as I tend to do from time to time. I thought it was a great example of a practical use for some of the electronics stuff I have been learning in school. It also serves to feed my Harry Potter hunger. (Long live Dumbledore's Army!) I might not be at this stage of the game yet, but it would certainly be cool to work towards.  It makes use of LED's, and a micro-controller connected via wi-fi. It connects to each family member's smartphones via an app (If This, Then That) to geo-locate the family member and communicate that location to the clock. This lights up the corresponding family member with their pre-set locations.  That app has many more uses. It can be used to connect to your HUB wi-fi connected light bulbs; NEST home thermostat; Belkin's WeMo, a plug adapter that you plug your corded device (like a coffee maker, or your Christmas lights). The WeMo is a wifi enabled device tha

Three Seconds

He's going to hit me. If I try to maneuver maybe- Bang! One One-Thousand. The sound of a scream came from somewhere. I realized it was me. I shrink in my seat, recoiling from the impact. The side airbag deployed, grazing the left of my face and shoulder. I barely registered it. Somehow my right hand wasn't on the steering wheel. "I need two hands, two hands on the steering wheel. Steer!" Things were freewheeling now. I'm not in control. What's next? Two One-Thousand. Look left, the airbag was there. Look forward, but my focus was blurred. I could only see on what was happening inside the car. "Pump the brake, pump the brake, pump the brake!" I hit the curb that bounced me up and over the island. Three One-Thousand. "Pump the brake!" I came off the island into the right turn lane, no one was there. The car stopped. I braced for another possible hit. Nothing. I waz vibrating at a higher frequency. Trembling. I